Path Finder is a superb file browser and management application that will make you wonder how on earth you only managed with just Apple's Finder for so long.
Path Finder basically takes Finder's interface and adds many more powerful features plus it tweaks the interface to make it look and feel much better. Probably the best improvement you'll notice are a new dual pane browser, cut and paste support, a completely overhauled Leopard-friendly interface and it now supports Coverflow.
The number of features in Path Finder are too numerous to mention in full but some of the highlights are network share browsing which means it auto-detects Mac and Windows network volumes and it allows you to activate screen sharing from within the file browser.
In addition, it supports tabbed browsing, a bookmarks bar, a reload button and a find window, and filter inside the browser. At almost $40 for a full licence, Path Finder is not a cheap upgrade for Finder but it definitely adds a whole new world of functionality and ease of use to file browsing and management on your Mac.
If you get frustrated by Finder, or you simply need a better way to manage your files, Path Finder is a truly comprehensive solution.
- Note: Path Finder 6 is a $20 upgrade from Path Finder 5.x.
- Create and modify Access Control Lists, an advanced alternative to OS X's standard Unix permissions.
- Leverage the power of OpenMeta to tag your files and share tags between apps.
- Apply filename changes to a group of files simultaneously.
- Low-level file editing without ever leaving your browser.